Written by Africa Business Insider
Top ten African countries with the highest GDPs
- Nigeria: Before now, you have probably heard speeches or seen articles where Nigeria was referred to as the biggest economy in Africa. Well, that’s mainly because of the size of its GDP. Nigeria has the highest GDP in Africa, standing at $514.05 billion in 2021.
- Egypt: This North African country has the second highest GDP size in Africa. At $394.28 billion, it is the highest GDP in North Africa and one of the only three countries from the region in this top ten ranking.
- South Africa: This country in Southern Africa comes in third on this list, with a GDP size of $329.53 billion. South Africa is one of the only two countries from Southern Africa that made it to the list.
- Algeria: This is the second country from Northern African on this list. According to Statista, Algeria has a GDP size of $151.56 billion, the fourth largest in Africa.
- Morocco: Next, we have Morocco, yet another Northern African country. Data verified by Business Insider Africa showed that this country has the fifth highest GDP size in Africa at $124 billion.
- Kenya: This country in East Africa has a GPD size of $106.04 billion. It is the only country in the Eastern African region that made it to the top ten list.
- Ethiopia: This is the only country in the Horn of Africa that made it to this list. The country has a GDP size of $93.97 billion, according to Statista.
- Ghana: This is the second West African country on this list and it has a GDP size of $74.26 billion.
- Ivory Coast: This francophone West African country has the ninth highest GDP in Africa at $70.99 billion.
- Angola: At $66.49 billion, Angola has the tenth highest GDP in Africa